Monday, November 9, 2009

The First Trimester

We will be through the first trimester in about a week and have our next doctor's appointment set for next Friday. I must say I am feeling much better: more energy, less gagging, still a few odd food preferences, but on the whole a major improvement! Lots of gas though....very uncomfortable.....slowed digestion is a definite negative! Tonight Jessica and I both happened to look nice, so David took a picture of us! (You can also see where the new baby is beginning to protrude.)

Me and my babies!

On the whole, things seem to be going well, and we are very thankful for that. I am not one of those people who gets very excited about the pregnancy process. Don't get my wrong. I am delighted to be pregnant and am very much looking forward to this wee one joining our family. However, I do realize that pregnancy has its risks. My doctor said a quarter of his patients have miscarriages. I have heard that 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. I have known someone who died from a c-section. I have known someone who was paralyzed from an epidural. I know someone who almost bled to death during labor and delivery. I read a blog where the mother died a couple days after birth from postpartum seizures. I have known several children who were born with heart defects, some of which died. I have known a baby who was born without a brain and died shortly thereafter. At church, I heard of a baby who was born without lungs and died immediately after birth. All of these things are rare in the United States because of our excellent medical care; however, they do still happen. Because of this, I tend to view pregnancy as serious business. Indeed whether or not to get pregnant in the first place is a serious decision. Can you support and care for a child until it reaches adulthood? However, there is nothing more wonderful in the world or as challenging as the responsibility of raising a child to adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment