Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Just Around the Riverbend

We are finally home from our tour of the South, and life is slowly returning to what passes for normal around here! I have been rather reflective today as I have thought about my family back in Tennessee attending the funeral and burial of my great-grandmother. I have also been working on writing our Will and getting an ultrasound for a breast lump (Turns out it was just dense tissue because of hormone fluctuations after our miscarriage). It has been a good day but a kind of heavy day. Tomorrow we will be in more of a rhythm both in our house and on this blog; however, I don't think we will be back in our usual routine until next week. I have been thinking all day about the song Just Around The Riverbend from Pocahontas. I grew up on the Mississippi River. Now I live on the coast. The thing about rivers (and the ocean) is that you can never step in the same place twice. It's always changing and flowing. Life is like that. Each moment exists only in that moment. Then it is gone forever except in our memories. That is why it is so important to learn to hold each moment because you don't know how long it will last. Also like rivers, you can't always see what is "just around the riverbend." I think that is one of the special gifts of this life: You always have the exciting anticipation of a new adventure just around the corner! Sometimes they are fun and joyful adventures, and sometimes they are difficult. However, having the opportunity to take my raft down the river of life is not something I would want to give up no matter how rough and rocky the river gets. It makes those peaceful moments that much sweeter.

"What I love most about rivers is:
You can't step in the same river twice
The water's always changing, always flowing"

No comments:

Post a Comment