Monday, August 24, 2009

A Word on Technology

Several of the blogs I read are written by moms who do not have TV's in their home. We have a TV (two actually), but we rarely watch it, mostly on Saturday mornings for cartoons and when someone is sick. Although I think it is important to be able to get by without technology, I also recognize that technology can be used to enhance our quality of life. However, moderation is key! Some ways technology can be used in positive and negative ways:

1) Computers can be used to learn new information not readily available in your location, but too much computer time will take time away from your family and/or other tasks and projects.

2) Cell phones can be wonderful if you have car trouble with a little one or two or want to keep up with family and friends, but they can also be a distraction from tasks that require your attention.

3) TV can be educational, and it can give you a few minutes to relax and do absolutely nothing. However, it can also serve as an escape from time with family or other tasks and projects.

There are others, but those are the big three in our house. I used to spend a fair amount of time on my cell phone keeping up with my numerous brothers and sisters. However, I have tried to limit it some to give me more time with Jessica and accomplishing tasks when she is asleep! I also use the computer...a lot! David and I both do actually. Sometimes it is kind of nice because we will sit right next to each other each researching whatever we are interested in and share what we are learning with each other. However, you can have too much of a good thing, and some computer activities are more useful than others! Facebook and virtual farming are probably my least useful activities! However, I also spend a fair amount of time researching how to do things around the house I don't know how to do, child development questions that invaribly come up, etc. Overall, I am a big fan of technology, but it is important to "keep it in it's place" and not let it run your life like Farhenheit 451!

No comments:

Post a Comment