Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Children Learn What They Live

This poem used to hang in the pediatrician's office where I used to go as a child. I have plans to one day print this up nicely or cross-stitch it and hang it on the wall in my hallway to remind me to be loving, patient, kind, etc to my children, even on days I don't feel like it because how I treat them is how they will learn to treat others. I've copied it below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Unfortunately, I think I will have to wait on getting it up on the wall until another day....off to tackle my to-do list!!!


Children Learn What They Live

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn . . .
If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight . . .
If a child lives with fear, he learns to be apprehensive . . .
If a child lives with pity, he learns to feel sorry for himself . . .
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy . . .
If a child lives with jealousy, he learns to feel guilt . . .

BUT

If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient . . .
If a child lives with encouragement, he learns to be confident . . .
If a child lives with praise, he learns to be appreciative . . .
If a child lives with acceptance, he learns to love . . .
If a child lives with honesty, he learns what truth is . . .
If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice . . .
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith in himself and those about him . .
If a child lives with friendliness, he learns the world is a nice place in which to live . .


WITH WHAT IS YOUR CHILD LIVING?

- Dorothy L. Law

No comments:

Post a Comment