Friday, July 30, 2010

Car Seat Swaddle Blanket Tutorial

When Jessica was a baby, all problems could be solved by feeding her. Baby John on the other hand, screams anytime he is tired, instead of just going to sleep. Typically, all you have to do is swaddle him, and he will calm down and eventually go to sleep. Unfortunately, that has proven difficult in the car....until now! Introducing: The Car Seat Swaddle Blanket Tutorial!


First you are going to need a piece of material (preferably knit or flannel) approximately 45"x45" is ideal, but I only had 45"x 36" left of my cute helicopter print so I made it work. ;-) Usually when swaddling the kids, I fold the top corner down, but in this case I cut it off.


Next, I lined the corner I cut off up under the shoulder straps.


Then I cut a slit large enough for the buckle to easily slip through.


Then about halfway between the corners on each side, I cut a slit going all the way to the lower part of the shoulder harness. This way the top piece could slip through the shoulder harness.


Finally, serge or hem all edges. And "Ta-Da!" A pretty cranky baby becomes much calmer almost instantly!


I will probably leave this blanket in the car seat at all times. To keep the blanket in place, put the infant head support over the blanket. I think we are really going to enjoy this Car Seat Swaddle Blanket when we take the kids on a 9 hour car trip to visit family in a few weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment