Friday, March 5, 2010


Well, it has truly been an eventful last couple of days around here! It all started very early on Wednesday morning, when I woke up feeling like I had food poisoning. I eventually went back to bed and aside from feeling tired felt ok. Jessica and I eventually got out and ran a couple errands and then came home and both took naps. I woke up feeling absolutely terrible. By the time David got home around 6pm, Jessica was waking up from her nap, and I was puking in a bucket. I thought it would get better from there, but it didn't. By 8 pm I was groaning in the bathroom floor with every joint in my body aching and an over powering feeling of nausea raking through me. It was at this point, David called our friend, Christopher to come over and watch Jessica so he could take me to the ER. Christopher said Jessica went to bed super easily "she curled up with her baby and went to sleep." He did mentioned that he plans to start calling her monkey...we assume he is referring to the fact that she likes to use her bunk bed as a jungle gym! She may be a very busy child, but I have to say we have never had any real trouble out of her with eating or sleeping (well except when she was a month old and decided she didn't need naps anymore.....and and the occasional nap strike). She really is a sweet, easy-going, and independent child!

We were really hoping to make it through this pregnancy without a trip to the ER... (You know you live in a small town and have visited the ER one too many times when the doctor comes in the room and remembers you!) At any rate, they gave me two bags of fluids and some anti-nausea medicine. Turns out I had an (awful) gastrointestinal virus and a UTI infection. Combine all of that with being pregnant with a very active baby (We've had two doctors mention his activity level in the last week....and the last doctor couldn't tell what position he was in because he wouldn't quit moving! I just don't think a calm baby is in the gene pool...), who kept kicking me in the ribs while I felt so awful! Getting rid of the nausea helped as well as getting some antibiotics, but David still had to do much of the talking, help get me into and out of the gown, help me get on and off the bed....the joint pain was pretty killer. Unfortunately, the only thing I could take was Tylenol and not very often because of the pregnancy. The trip home was not fabulous as the car ride seemed to make me feel even more nauseated than I already felt!

Today David stayed home, went to the grocery store, took care of Jessica, etc. After a day of laying around and taking medicine, I think I will survive tomorrow ok without him. (He's trying to save enough off time so that he can stay home with us the first week after the baby is born.) I can only assume I caught it from Jessica, but she was never really conclusively sick. Thankfully, David seems to have avoided the awful virus. Unfortunately, we seem to have passed it on to some of our friends down the street! I am definitely glad this seems to be passing, albeit a little bit slower for me given the fact that I also have a UTI and am pregnant. Now that I have had my brief trip out of the bed, I am going back to bed to hopefully have a good nights sleep and a better day tomorrow!


  1. Oh Amy, I'm so sorry to hear that especially considering you are pregnant. Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon. I believe John's due date is late May or early June. I remember that because our baby was supposed to be due May 31st.

  2. Thank you! I am feeling much better today, just a little tired! I know what you mean about being able to remember John's due date. I had a friend recently have a baby that was due around the time ours was supposed to be due.