Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Reusable Swiffer Pads and Swiffer Dusters

I have mentioned several times before that I do NOT like cleaning! I love anything that makes the job easier when it absolutely MUST be done! Two tools I have fallen in love with are the Swiffer Wet Jet and the Swiffer Duster. The Swiffer Wet Jet is light weight with a lot of maneuverability. I particularly enjoyed it during my last pregnancy! The Swiffer Duster can be extended to reach high ceiling fans and is able to get into tight, hard to reach places. Again, I particularly enjoyed it during my last pregnancy! However, being the frugal person that I am, I do not like having to constantly buy disposable pads and dusters! Therefore, I got out my sewing machine, an old towel, an old t-shirt, and got to work creating my own washable Swiffer Wet Jet pads and Swiffer dusters!


To make the duster, I used an old t-shirt to cut out 7 rectangular pieces with fringe.


This is probably an unnecessary step, but I decided to put Fray Check around the edges.


Next I stitched each piece down the center to the center region of the base piece.


You can see the stitches I made on the back of the base piece. Finally I stitched some elastic on the back to slip the Swiffer Duster into.


To make the Wet Jet pad, I took an old towel and cut it so the Wet Jet would fit in the center.


Last I sewed the towel together like a mattress sheet.

I have used the wet jet pad multiple times and absolutely love it! The duster also works well but the disposable one is less bulky and does not attract dust quite as easily. However, it still works well enough that I would use my homemade version instead of buying more disposables.

No comments:

Post a Comment