Saturday, September 26, 2009

Boycotting NBC

In the past NBC has not been my favorite news station due to the fact that they routinely misinterpret statistics in research studies. However, we still watched cartoons on NBC's qubo. Today that changes. I am officially boycotting NBC.

This morning when I got up with our daughter to watch Saturday morning cartoons, we were instead greeted by The Today Show running a segment on an author who wrote a book about drug addiction and incest. Turns out NBC has changed their schedule so that there are no cartoons until 10 am, and they have stopped carrying quality (and my daughter's favorite) shows like Veggie Tales and 3-2-1 Penguins.

We don't watch a lot of television in our house. Watching Saturday morning cartoons is a treat. We chose to watch qubo for the quality programming in comparison to the other public broadcasting channels. The shows that are left, for the most part, are low quality and do not reinforce education and values. I tried to e-mail their Public Relations Department; however, the e-mails were all returned.

What happened to quality Saturday morning programming for children? What happened to shows like Lamp Chop's Playalong, Mister Roger's, Sesame Street (before Elmo was the star), Shining Time Station, Veggie Tales, 3-2-1 Penguins, etc?

I have been incredibly disappointed as of late with those companies that provide products and services for children. Everyone seems concerned about cutting costs and avoiding lawsuits, but few seem concerned with providing quality and appropriate entertainment, toys, clothing, etc for children. I know I am not the only one who does not want their child turning into a prosti-tot, but unfortunately, I believe I may be in the minority...

No comments:

Post a Comment